Here are some examples of foods high in probiotic content
First off I want to let you know what a Probiotic is…
Probiotics are cultured edible microorganisms that can be consumed to restore the natural balance of beneficial microbes in the gut. These include bacteria similar to those that naturally occur in the human digestive tract and specific yeast strains that complement gut bacteria. Common probiotics include Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidus. Probiotics can be cultured in foods, such as yogurt and kefir, or they can be purchased as supplements.
Adding healthy bacteria, or probiotics, into your diet is key. Probiotic literally means “for life,” and probiotics like lactobacillus, plantarum and bifidis help immune cells fight disease, prevent diarrhea and constipation, protect the mucous lining of the intestine, assist digestion and provide nutrients for building blood. They also manufacture B vitamins and vitamin K right down inside your intestines where they are immediately absorbed. They are the most efficient way to obtain vitamin B-12.
Probiotics also help you fight the signs of aging. Here’s how:
- Probiotics can keep you slim. Microflora reduce cravings for carbohydrates, sugar and alcohol. And new research has found that obese people have different bacteria in their intestines than people of normal weight. Scientists think that good bacteria can keep you from gaining pounds.
- Probiotics clean your liver. Traditional Chinese Medicine teaches that the liver affects your skin and eyes. With a clean liver, you may notice younger looking skin with less liver spots, moles and skin tags, and bright, shiny eyes.
- Probiotics treat acne. One study found that teenagers ingesting probiotics saw improvement in their blemishes after only 2 weeks.
- Probiotics can prevent wrinkles. Good bacteria in your gut can help you eliminate the toxins and free radicals that can damage skin and cause early signs of aging.
- Probiotics give you a glowing complexion. Probiotics help you digest and better assimilate the nutrients from your food. That means your skin receives more of the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals it needs to be healthy.
- Probiotics help your hair grow long and lustrous. Hair may be dead, but each hair follicle is surrounded by nourishing blood vessels. Beneficial microflora help keep your intestines clean and healthy, they attack pathogens to keep your blood clean and healthy. Healthy blood nourishes hair, skin and nails.
- Probiotics make your fingernails stronger. Nails are made of proteins, and probiotics break down the proteins you eat into the amino acids that build healthy, flexible nails.
- Probiotics give you energy. It’s much harder to look and feel good when you’re tired, but consuming probiotics boosts your immunity and makes digestion easier, giving you more energy to look your best!
- Probiotics prevent yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. Keeping live cultures in your body balances out the good and bad bacteria in your body.
If you are serious about looking and feeling your best, then it is time to add beneficial probiotics to your diet. Fermented foods and beverages are the perfect way to obtain the probiotics your body needs.
(We recommend foods and beverages as probiotic sources because they are more potent than supplements, which lose potency after time on the shelf. Once inside your body, probiotic supplements don’t always survive the acidic environment of your stomach unless they are taken along with fermented foods and liquids.)
Consider adding these fermented foods and beverages to a diet of nutritious, whole foods. You’ll be looking (and feeling) better in no time.
- Young Coconut Kefir is a delicious, bubbly drink that is deal for anyone who wants to stay slim or improve their skin. I will post a homemade recipe later today
- Raw, cultured vegetables can provide you with probiotics at every meal. These vegetables not only taste great but help you digest your other food, making valuable nutrients for your skin, hair and nails.
- Vitality SuperGreen, wholefood green drink, contains fermented greens, algae and potent probiotics.
- Dong Quai newest, most convenient and economical fermented drink that supports overall body balancing and restoration for men and women.
As you incorporate fermented foods and drinks into your diet, keep in mind that probiotics are not the only piece of the beauty puzzle. Be sure to drink plenty of water, eat whole foods, sleep well, and exercise daily.
Instead of putting creams and lotions on your face, it’s so much more effective to eat a delicious menu plan that includes high-quality proteins, vitamins, minerals, virgin, organic oils and fats along with those wonderful probiotic foods. You’ll save money and have a whole team of healthy microflora at work to keep you healthy and young!